Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lima to Lima

I am in Lima, Peru and it. is. AWESOME.

Here's the short version of our adventure so far...

After being separated for three weeks, Brittany, Noelle and I finally reunited at the Miami airport.  We had a few hours to kill before our flight and enjoyed talking to each other about our other flights, listening to people around us, and basking in overall excitement.

Noelle and Brittany sat next to each other on the plane and I was in the row behind them with a young Peruvian man.  All four of us enjoyed the 5 1/2 hour flight and our new friend, Cristian, gave us pointers on being in Peru.

Tickets to Lima




Cuba







We landed around 10:30 and it took over an hour and a half to get through immigration and customs.  We filled the forms out wrong TWICE so the immigration lady was a little frustrated haha  We just kept smiling and remembered to say 'gracias' when we left.  It's a hard habit to break saying "hi!" to people when you see them.  We're all adjusting to "hola!"

A lovely woman, Zara, picked us up from the airport and we finally got out of there around 12:30.  On the way to her house we all did introductions completely in Spanish which was very exciting!  I can't express how excited I am to learn more Spanish.

Her house is a maze!  We woke up to birds chirping and Spanish music blasting through the house.  She cooked us a breakfast of eggs and ham, bread with jam and butter and an apple.  We got our first Spanish lesson from her too (well maybe second if you count the car ride).

Things that have surprised me so far....
- It really is summer here!!  Ahhhhh the sun is shining and it's warm and HUMID.
- I actually understand quite a bit of what people are saying.
- Two lane streets are really three or four lanes and no one uses turn signals.
- They have very provocative billboards

I am so thrilled to be here I just want to jump up and down.  This really is going to be an adventure of a lifetime and I think we are all going to learn so much from it.  Today we are going to go play some volleyball and soccer in a park with Zara and her son and then at 4:30 we will catch our bus which will take us to Cajamarca.  Did I mention it's a 16 HOUR busride??  Hopefully we can learn a lot of Spanish in that time :)

2 comments:

  1. Hooray you made it! You look SUPER excited to be sitting next to that Peruvian on the plane...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having fun already!! I look forward to hearing about your adventures!! :)

    ReplyDelete