We arrived in Puno around 5:30 that night and got dropped
off at our hotel…probably the nicest hotel I’ve ever stayed at in my life. The only time I’ve stayed at one that nice is
when my family’s gone to Great Wolf Lodge or something similar to that. It was Saturday night so we headed out to do
some checking out of the city. We were
only a block from the Plaza de Armas and when we got there we could see there
was something going on at the cathedral in the center. Saturday was the day before Easter so we knew
it had to do with that. Noelle bought us
each a candle so we could participate in whatever was going on. We waited outside for a bit as the clergy
came out and did some stuff and then we all went inside for the mass. It was interesting to be in there,
experiencing another religion on a holiday such as Easter. It was on my bucket list!! We left partway though since we couldn’t
understand anything and my tummy was growling.

Notice the lady's hair next to me. Each city we've visited has had a pretty distinct cultural way to dress. Puno's women wore large yarn extensions in their hair. Usually the whole braid was their own hair, but then they had these bell-like thick braids attached to the end. Even some of the really young girls wore them.
The three of us found a small pizza place to get a quick,
cheap bite to eat before heading back to the hotel for the night. For some reason, we always pick the
sketchiest looking places to eat since leaving Cajamarca. I don’t know why, but it never crosses our
mind until we realize we’re in the restaurant no one else is in and we’re
sitting in lawn chairs inside.
Thankfully, none of us have gotten really sick while traveling.
The adventure to the floating islands started early Sunday
morning. We took a boat out on the lake
with about 20 other tourists. What are
the floating islands? Well, they’re
these manmade islands made out of reeds that are in the middle of this huge
lake. Between two and six families live
on each island, it just depends on the size.
They also have an island or two for the school and one for the
church. They are all positioned in a big
circle. Currently, they are anchored
down but if they want their island to move, they just undo their anchor system
and move their home wherever they want.
It’s kind of a crazy concept. We
were told each island will last 11-12 years and then they have to make a new
one although it takes about seven months to build a new one.
 |
| It looks like grass in the background but they're actually reeds. |
I’m just confused as to what the people there do today. I’m sure even 20 years ago they didn’t have
as much tourism so living on the islands would be more of a way of life. That’s cool.
I just felt so invasive being there and felt like I was hindering the
authenticity of the island way of life.
Maybe I’m totally overreacting, but maybe I’m not too. I’ll never know. They were cool though, I’ll give them
that. And I enjoyed seeing their
traditional costumes, especially since they were soooo different than the
mountain women of Cajamarca.
After the floating islands we hopped back on the boat for 2
hours and 20 minutes to get to another, real island for lunch. We were on a boat over two hours just so we
could eat lunch haha. It’s a
really good thing the lake and surroundings
were beautiful and the weather was PERFECT or the ride could have been really
long and boring. I enjoyed just sitting
on top with the wind in my hair and the sun in my face (I was the only one of
us that didn’t get burned), soaking up the beauty of the highest lake in the
world.
 |
| They had a few little floating islands for their pigs...just chillin out in the middle of a lake. |
Story continued in the next blog :)
No comments:
Post a Comment