Monday, January 30, 2012

A Peruvian Feast

Today we had our first glimpse of Peruvian fine dining.  And we didn't even have to leave our home to do so!

We still aren't exactly sure how all the people were connected that came to eat, but it doesn't matter...it was reason to party!  Feliciana and Melchura cooked ALL morning for this feast and it was sooooooo delicious.  Here's what a seven-course Peruvian meal looks like...

First: Chocla.  No idea how to spell that.  It's like corn that has extremely large kernels and tastes really starchy...but it's pretty good.  I could have used some salt and butter on mine but it's healthier without it I guess :)


Second: Red potatoes.  I didn't take a picture of them.  You know what little red potatoes look like.

Third: More potatoes.  This time they were fried and tasted delicious!  Oh, and did I mention that mixed in was pig intestine?  It was actually delicious!  It almost tasted like bacon but not quite.  On top you put shredded onions and carrots.  We had multiple servings of this course.


Fourth: Soup.  It was sort of an egg-drop soup with potatoes and it, too, was delicious!






Fifth: Rice (which is way better than American rice) and a (you guessed it) potato sauce for the top. 

Sixth:  Guinea pig.  This was kind of combined with the fifth course as you could eat it with the rice if you wanted to.  The guinea pig was...interesting.  There's not much meat on them and you can see every single bone.  I happened to grab a torso so I had all the little ribs on mine as well as the two front claws (claws still attached).  I've been looking forward to trying "cuy" ever since coming here so it was a pleasant surprise!




Seventh: Dessert.  My favorite, as always.  We had homemade donut pastries and these rolled pastries with manjarblanco (a really soft carmel) in the middle.  Ohhhhh it was heaven!


Eighth: Wait, I thought you said there were only seven courses?  Well, WE only ate seven.  We had to leave before the last one was served.  It was a homemade herbal tea of some sort so I don't feel like I missed too much.

To drink we had the Peruvian staple, Inca Kola.  The best way to describe the taste is a bubblegum drink.  I didn't particularly enjoy it my first time but it's (thankfully) grown on me.

By the end of this we were completely full and exhausted.  The people we ate with were native Spanish speakers and a few spoke a little English but it's tiring to keep up conversation in a different language.  They were very nice to us though and loved the fact that it was our first time having cuy.  They also found plenty of things to laugh at about us...as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment