Tonight we were in the mood for something sweet and it was too late to go out to get some cake. We have meager ingredients at our disposal so we searched for something simple. Banana bread. It’s cheap and easy and has very few ingredients. Well, we had all but one…baking soda. Because of my “expertise” in baking (I took baking in college, how much more is there to know??) I knew that even though there’s not much baking soda in the recipe, it would make a big difference. Such a big difference that we would not have bread in the end, but something to the effect of a pancake…flat.
This little fact did not deter us! We went full steam ahead and whipped up the recipe: minus baking soda, with an additional egg (since ours are pretty small), and with brown sugar instead of white. We stuck it in the oven in two cake pans at 175 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
Viola!! Banana cake/ bars/ pancakes/ omelet/ brownies….banana something. Whatever we decide to call it, it was tasty! We dusted the top with a little cinnamon and downed one of the cake pans. The second we decided to save for another time. We stuck some slices in the freezer and some in the fridge.
While I think I’ll stick with using baking soda when I’m in the states, this will definitely suffice for Peru. We’re living on the edge.
No comments:
Post a Comment