On Wednesday I had the opportunity to go out with the sister missionaries from the ward here. I’ve never even gone with the missionaries in the states in English! I showed up to their house at 4:00 (after taking the bus by myself from Puylucana). They asked if I’d ever done this before and kind of went over what their plans were. One of the sisters is from Nicaragua and the other is from the US. Funny thing, is that the US sister doesn’t really remember English. I’m not even exaggerating. She struggles a LOT with her English. But if I really couldn’t get what they were saying in Spanish she would tell me, slowly, in English. They had me say a prayer (they had to teach me how, first) and then we were off!
We walked on a little dirt path we’d been on once before and stopped to say hi to a little old lady spinning yarn by the road. She had to be in her 70s and she was really wrinkly. Her pigs were in a hut five feet from us and her sheep were out grazing next to her. The Nicaraguan missionary (Hermana Moralez) talked to her for a few minutes and then we continued on our way. We got to our first appointment a few minutes later and it was at a little shack on the side of this dirt path. I was really excited to get to see in the home because so far we’ve only been to nice homes. Well, we knocked and knocked and no one answered.
We kept walking and got to the main road where the next appointment was. It was with a girl about my age who was working at her family’s little tienda. We just sat down in the store (even though there was barely room to stand…I sat on a bucket of oil) and began the lesson. I said the opening prayer (now only my second in Spanish) and I was terrified. It sounded like a five year old prayer as I can basically only think of the words for “We’re thankful for our families and friends.” Seriously, it wasn’t much more than that.
The lesson was on the first page out of the Restoration pamphlet. I did a good job of following along although I couldn’t comment or add to the discussion very much. It’s okay though, I think the girl thought I was funny. On Sunday, we’re going to sit with her at church so she’ll have some friends there. I’m really thankful for the opportunity to go with them and I’m so glad they invited me! I’m going again either Sunday or Wednesday…I don’t remember.
I’ve always been fairly elusive as to whether I want to serve a mission or not and I’m still not totally sure. I always said if I wasn’t married by that time then I would definitely go. Time just snuck up on me! It’s time to start thinking about it now. This experience swayed me more in the direction of going, but only if I can go Spanish speaking haha I would LOVE to spend more time learning the language and talking with people and Spanish is so useful to know. Obviously, I would go wherever I was called but it would be nice to know ahead of time :) I still have time and I’m not too worried right now. If I do decide to go, I would hopefully leave in the fall so this would be my last semester of school for a while. That’s strange to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment