Saturday morning we were some busy little cake decorators! Brittany met a woman during the JAS activity that lives in Cajamarca and they’ve kept in pretty good contact. She invited us over to help her with these cakes so of course we accepted! She already had all the cakes made, we just had to help frost and assemble them. They were for a Catholic baptism for two little girls.
Velma is so awesome. She is going to be such a great new friend! She whipped up some frosting and let us go to town getting the base coats on the cakes. I was a little taken aback at first because if I were being paid to do cakes for people I would not let some gringas I didn’t know come do it with me. But that’s the perfectionist side of me and Velma does not have a perfectionist side haha It didn’t matter if all the cakes weren’t the same shade of frosting or if the sides weren’t perfectly straight or flat…it just had to be decent. Although it’s not a cake I would have felt okay delivering, it didn’t look bad and we had a blast putting it together.
Once it was all assembled we took it downstairs for it to be picked up. Little did we know we’d have to help take it to the party venue. This included walking straight down the middle of the Mercado. Talk about intimidating!! I had a cake with two tiers plus a topper and I’m walking down the middle of hundreds of people trying not to bump into anyone PLUS the roads are not close to being flat so I have to watch where I’m stepping as well. Thankfully we got some taxi’s after a bit and I just had to make sure not to face plant in the cake when we sped over a pothole.
Now, rewind a few hours to when we’re decorating cakes…we were also eating cakes. She made an extra big and small one and served us a slice when we got there. Then, as we were decorating, we kept slicing off small slices to snack on. It’s not like the cake was even special or anything! Just plain vanilla…but it was there and I like cake. Well we were full on cake and sugar and were grateful when she offered to feed us breakfast after we delivered the cakes (even though it was like 12:00 by then). Little did we know, breakfast would be yet another slice of cake. Did I mention that for our breakfast before we got to her house we split a piece of cake from a wedding Noelle attended the previous day? Oh, AND for dinner Saturday night we had cake to celebrate Sandra's Baptism. I literally had cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don’t know whether that’s a good or bad thing…

No comments:
Post a Comment