Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Three's NOT a Crowd


Have I mentioned how great my roommates are?  They. Are. AWESOME.  I can’t imagine what this trip would be like without either one of them.  We’ve had many conversations about how crazy it is that we’re so so soooo different and yet we all get along fabulously.  Let me take a minute to introduce you to them and brag just a little about how lucky I am to have them as friends.

Brittany- Como “Brittany Spears” Holy cow this girl is wonder woman!  She’s a beast AND a beauty.  Of the three of us she is the most outdoorsy, always-up-for-an-adventure, can-survive-anything, loves challenges girl.  She enjoys being pushed to do things a little better/ harder/ faster.  She works so hard at everything and doesn’t settle for anything less than her best.  She LOVES crafts and has tons of fun with all the girls doing hair and nails, making headbands, coloring, painting etc.  Brittany cares so much for the kids who struggle.  This is a good quality as she is studying Special Education in school!  She always is thinking of other people before herself and will sacrifice something she likes or enjoys for you if it will make you happier.  Oh my goodness I could go on and on!  I’m so excited to go back to school in April and have her as a new friend.  We talk often about how it’ll be strange to see each other in our nice clothes and in a more social environment where we can talk to everyone we see.  We also just found out we both adore the game Rummikub so I’m ready to beat her when we get back :)

Noelle- Como “Papa Noel”  This girl has more energy and optimism than I’ll ever have in my life!  I love how much she loves people and wants to get to know them and talk to them.  She’s great at making people feel comfortable…even Peruvians!  She is a mover and likes to be doing things and doing them with other people.  I don’t think she’ll ever have enough friends.  She loves the kids here more than anything and cares so much for each of them.  She’s definitely the best when it comes to remembering their names and things about them.  I think she’s everyone’s favorite for this very reason!  Also for the fact that she can talk the most to them.  (Communications major and great at it!)  Noelle has a strong testimony and loves to study the words of the prophets, be them past or present.  I really admire her enthusiasm for everything she loves.  Even if it’s something little, she voices how much she appreciates it or how awesome it is.  There’s nothing too small to thank our Heavenly Father for and she always remembers things I never would have thought of.  She’s the most “feeling” out of the three of us…for good or for bad.  She was the most excited about coming here and I know she’ll be the saddest to leave.  She hilarious although sometimes she just thinks she’s hilarious…but most of the time it’s true :)  She grew up with many siblings so she doesn’t have any aversion to sharing things like silverware and it’s not unusual to find her going to the bathroom with the door wide open :P  Sadly, Noelle will be in Utah this spring doing an internship so we won’t be at school together, but we’ve had tons of fun this past year at school.  Even though we only knew each other through mutual friends and hadn’t spent more than one hour together at a time before Peru, we sure have become great friends.

Me!- Como “there’s-nothing-cool-Peruvians-can-relate-my-name-to”  I guess I’ll add in how I mix into this mix.  I don’t know if it’s accurate since it’s from my own perspective but I’ll give it a shot.  I am the most serious of the bunch.  I think I’ve had at least three people tell me (or the bunch) that I am serious and that Noelle and Brittany are the happy ones.  It’s not much of a confidence booster when you’re singled out as the non-happy one but I assure you I am very happy!  I’m not one to wear emotions on my sleeve though so I guess it’s just not as apparent.  I’m not much of a talker when it comes to personal stuff and I like to work out problems on my own.  I'm the let's-have-a-plan-instead-of-jumping-into-this-with-no-knowledge girl.  My Health Science major shows all the time as I'm the most worried about food and sanitation (although I did eat a green bean unwashed the other night)  Unlike Noelle, who charges her battery by going out and having fun with people, I recharge by having some quiet time to myself.  I have my own opinions and if I don’t want to do something I will make it known.  I don’t feel like I have to do what the group does and am perfectly fine to just stay at home and enjoy the peace and quiet.  I’m definitely an oldest child and sometimes I’m sure I get a little bossy about dumb things.  It’s quite a miracle that Brittany and I are both oldest children and we haven’t had any major tiffs taking charge of anything!  I like reading books, doing puzzles and coloring with the kids. I think I’m a more mellow version of both Brittany and Noelle.  I love laughing with them and joking around and having fun.  When I get in a mood, I can be a little crazy…it just doesn’t happen too often.

Well, there you have it!  Three girls who are nothing alike and yet have EVERYTHING in common at the moment.  We share a room (sometimes a bed), eat the same foods, have the same friends, go the same places, laugh at the same jokes…everything.  We’re each at a different point on a triangle and triangles, as I’m sure you know, are the strongest shape.  Perfect!  We’re a great team.  We can push each other’s buttons but we can also push each other to be better and step a little out of our comfort zones.  I couldn’t have asked for greater roommates here in Peru and I don’t think we could have assembled a better team if it were people I actually knew beforehand.  I have one month left with these amazing women and I’m going to enjoy every single minute of it!













 

3 comments:

  1. that good that at this time have cultivated a beautiful friendship
    if I think Wonder Woman is britt haha :) and a similar nickname with his name is abi bean, which ate green lol
    I appreciate them muxo, all three are amazing.
    I hope we can meet before you return to your country, here in Chiclayo, tkm muxo Take care ...

    ReplyDelete