Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kissing Llamas

The next morning (Thursday the 5th of April) we woke up EARLY (this tour company does not plan for sleeping) to drive through the Sacred Valley towards Machu Picchu.  First, we drove up to this huge Jesus statue on the hill overlooking the city.  There's a sweet story to go with it too.  So a while ago the Palestinians were having some trouble and they found refuge from their country in Cusco.  They were so appreciative of the people there that they gave them this Jesus statue as a gift.  Isn't that nice of them?!  I think it's so touching that they'd do that for a people even when they don't share the same faith.



Another view of Cusco.
Our journey continued to a (ready for this??) LLAMA FARM!  This was probably one of my FAVORITE parts of the trip.  That might seem lame, but I got to play with llamas in Cusco, Peru.  Emperor's New Groove anyone?  Yeah, that's right.  NOW you're jealous :)







 We had a llama kissing contest.  Brittany won (I think she really did kiss it!) and Noelle came in last.  It took me a few tries but I finally got a decent picture.  It's a lot scarier than it seems to have a huge llama head trying to grab grass out of your mouth!



After feeding the llamas and alpacas we had the chance to see how they dye the hair and manipulate it for merchandise.



We couldn't pass up a picture of all the varieties of Peru potatoes!
They had a beautiful shop filled with handmade genuine alpaca anything and everything but you're not allowed to take pictures inside...so I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment