Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pisaq and Urubamba

The next stretch of the trip that day was probably my favorite (I know I said llamas were my favorite too, so you can just try to imagine how cool our day actually was.)

We first stopped in a little town called Pisaq.  Here we went to an adorable marketplace.  We only spent about 45 minutes there and I think I could have spent two hours.  I just love walking through all the little shops and seeing what people have to offer.  It's funny though because each marketplace kind of has their own unique things but within the market there's a lot of the same stuff.  There's a little variety between shops, but on average, each shop has similar merchandise.  What's great about this, is that if one seller won't give you the price you want, you just say thank you and go to the next one!  I was the worst bargainer out of all of us but I did manage to get a deal on most things.

At this market I bought some placemats for my future home.  Look at me, thinking of when I'm grown up and out of an apartment with five other girls :)  Before my first semester I found a 40 piece Pottery Barn dish set for $50.  That's a deal even better than the Peruvians could have offered me!  Well, I bought the placemats to match my dishes so now I can always remember Peru when I eat.  I don't have the dishes with me at school because they're big and heavy and I don't want them to break, so now the whole thing will just be my wedding present to myself someday.


This is actually a different market from later in the day, but since we're talking about the market I threw the picture in here....
After shopping in the market we got to visit a silver shop.  In the back, they actually show people how they make the silver and how you can tell if what the tiendas are selling you is actually real silver.  All of the jewelry they sold was BEAUTIFUL but a little pricey since it was all real.  Plus, they stick a salesman on each person that comes in so whatever you look at you have someone two feel behind you saying things like "Oh, that is so pretty" and offering to get every little thing out of it's case so you can look at it.  They sure know how to make a person feel bad for not buying something haha  Good thing I have no feelings ;)


Noelle chilling outside because she got sick of the salespeople.
Our next stop was Urubamba.  We were told we could eat lunch is Pisaq (where we were) or wait until Urubamba.  Well, we weren't hungry in Pisaq so we decided to wait.  Not the greatest decision on our part.  We didn't realize Urubamba had like two places to eat in it and they were both fairly expensive.  We would have been content with some bread and fruit from a tienda, but we ended up getting an entire fancy buffet.  I will admit, the buffet was delicious...we just didn't need it all haha

No comments:

Post a Comment