Monday, January 16, 2012

Lentils and Hiccups

I finally know what people mean when they say their head hurts from being in a country with a different language.  The last part of today I just gave up.  No more Spanish!!!  I did, however, do an excellent job talking to the kids today and have improved even since Friday.  

The best part of today was sorting the rice and lentils we would eat for lunch with Feliciana and Merchola.  They love to laugh at us trying to learn Spanish but they are very helpful.  While we were picking rocks out of the lentils I hiccupped.  Feliciana told me the word for hiccup and I put it into a sentence “today, I have the hiccups.”  Then Brittany said “Yesterday, I had the hiccups” and Noelle finished with “tomorrow, I will have the hiccups,” to which Feliciana busted out laughing and reminded us that there’s no way for us to know if we will have hiccups tomorrow.  I don’t think she understood we were just practicing sentence structure haha  Then later, Noelle accidentally called me a bird and they loved that as well.

After eating our rice and lentils we read books to the kids.  I brought a bunch of beginner level books that already have questions in the back so that’s what we read.  We split into three groups and the book I read was “La Tortuga Tonta.”  About halfway through the kids started reading along with me and I believe it’s because my pronunciation was so atrocious.

We finished off the day with making bracelets and the boys enjoyed it just as much as the girls!  Some of them had a hard time understanding how to make them but a few caught on super quick.  The kids are always entertaining us and are hilarious even when I don’t know exactly what they’re saying.  I think one of them made me say a bad word today though…..

 These were the rocks/ bugs etc found in the lentils...then we found out we'd only sorted half of the lentils.  Thankfully, I found no rocks in my lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment