Saturday, January 21, 2012

No Pictures Allowed


This morning we headed to Cajamarca to work in the orphanage there.  It about a 25 minute bus ride and then a 15 minute walk there.  We thought we were meeting our main Cajamarca contact there but he wasn’t there when we arrived and they had no idea what to do with us.  Well, we visited last Monday and talked to the less-than-thrilled director but she wasn’t there this morning so it was a little confusing at first.  They didn’t really tell us what we were going to do, but they called all the kids out and just started having us play with them.

I know this whole Peru thing is going to be the hardest thing I’ve done and I’m going to have to go outside my comfort zone every day but this was so far out there for me.  I can’t pinpoint what it was that made me so uncomfortable there either.  The kids were super sweet and loved having some white girls there to play with them…but it was super hard for me.  I think the language barrier is becoming bigger and bigger for me.  Maybe it just made me really realize how little Spanish I do know.  Not that I ever thought I was good at Spanish or even equipped to come here (Spanish was the only class in high school I ever got a B in haha) but I just can’t talk to anyone!!!  When I go someplace like an orphanage I really want to talk to the kids and have fun with them and learn about them and what they like…and I can’t do that.  Maybe that’s what upset me the most. 

Anyways, apparently interns in the past have taken pictures and then posted them online and the Aldea doesn’t like that so we weren’t allowed to take any pictures at all.  It’s okay though, they were just as cute as the ones at El Bichito.  

We’ll be going to the orphanage every Saturday morning from now on so I better learn to like it there and love the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment